Help Those in Immediate Need
COVID-19 Relief Efforts – We have received many requests about how our community can help. This fund established through the BEF will support food distribution to our youth 18 and under, technology and hotspot access, as well as other immediate family needs that arise during this pandemic. We appreciate your support of our youth and their families who are struggling during this time.
The Biddeford Public School Education Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization created to manage and distribute funds raised to enrich the educational experience for the students of Biddeford. Through partnerships with the community and district, the Foundation will provide resources outside the normal school budget to augment teaching, encourage academic excellence, and maximize opportunities for students Pre-K through Grade 12.
Priority Giving Areas
The Board of Directors has approved three priority areas for giving in 2020.
- Trauma/ACEs/Biddeford 365
- To date, the BEF has utilized grant funding to assist with ACEs (adverse childhood experiences) training and supporting our students in building resilience. We recognize secondary trauma is also a concern as staff process the trauma their students endure. One of the strategies to support youth is a program called Biddeford 365 – a vacation/summer camp providing youth an environment for healing from and building resilience around ACEs to break the stranglehold of trauma. In partnership with the schools, a safe environment with positive, long-lasting experiences and interactive programming will be offered for underprivileged youth.
- Backpack Program & Kids in Need
- Food insecurity remains an issue in our community. The District will continue to collaborate with YouthFull Maine and Good Shepherd Food Bank for free farmer’s markets and in-school food pantries but we find the need to purchase additional easy to carry, quick meals/snacks for the younger grades to transport home. We also provide support to homeless or struggling youth around basic needs.
- Teacher Mini-Grants
- The Foundation continues to support teacher mini-grants allowing educators to think outside the box for innovative learning opportunities that would otherwise not be covered in the normal school budget. To date, the BEF has supported $14,521.56 in teacher mini-grants.
Fundraisers in 2020 – Updated as new fundraisers are added.
The following fundraisers will support the above priority areas in 2020. As we are in the planning phase, please check back often to learn about new events and opportunities. Links lead to all event pages or order placement.
- COVID-19 Relief Efforts
- Simply click the link above and choose “COVID-19 Relief Efforts.” All funds raised will support food distribution to our youth 18 and under, technology access, as well as other immediate family needs during this time.
- Commemorative Marching Band Pillows – $50 each
- These commemorative pillows are made from the old uniforms thanks to our parent volunteer and Marching Band alum Jessica (Bedard) Johnson ’00. We have a limited number available and they are made upon order. All funds raised will benefit the marching band.
- Spaghetti Dinner featuring The Alumni Band – POSTPONED DUE TO COVID-19
- Join us for a Spaghetti Dinner featuring Texas Roadhouse rolls, salad, and music by The Alumni Band (will play 6:30-7:30pm). The event has been postponed due to the closure of the school buildings. Tickets are $7 in advance; $10 at the door; Kids under 5 are free. Proceeds benefit the Marching Band Fund.
- Cruise for a Cause – August, 2020
- We are partnering with Alumni Jordan Fields and Randy Forcier on this year’s Cruise for a Cause on the Casablanca Cruiseline. Join us on a Friday in August (Date TBD) from 6-9pm as cruise out of Portland and enjoy music by “One Hit Thunder”. Tickets are $40 each.
- 5th Annual Pillars of Pride Dinner and Silent Auction – Date TBD
- This annual event honors two lifelong contributors to learning and all proceeds benefit the BEF’s priority areas. Recipients and date are TBD. It is open to anyone who would like to attend and tickets are $50 each. FMI, contact Karen Chasse at 391-6885.
- 2019 – Ron Cote & Robert Hodge
- 2018 – Dana Peck & Sarah Jane Poli
- 2017 – Lou Chantigny & Bonita Pothier
- 2016 – Roland Eon & Jim Godbout
- Platinum Sponsors:
Biddeford Savings Bank
Saco & Biddeford Savings Institution
- Gold Sponsor:
Biddeford Saco Rotary Club
- Silver Sponsors:
Bangor Savings Bank
Haley’s Metal Shop, Inc.
Northeast Credit Union
- Silent Auction Sponsor:
PeoplesChoice Credit Union
President: Karen Chasse, Director of Community Outreach and Development
Treasurer: Terry Gauvin, Business Manager
Liz Ames, Teacher
Denise D’Entremont, Community Member
Kerrie Edgerton, Parent
Heather Gendron, Community Member
Erin Korpaczewski, Parent
Michele Landry, Parent
John McCurry, Municipal Elected Official
Jacky Murphy, Community Member
Jeremy Ray, Superintendent
Keith Jacques, Esq., Woodman and Edmonds (Clerk)